Dear Parents and Swimmers,
We hope you and your family are doing well during this difficult time. When we reopen Swim-in Zone will look very different. We believe that learning to swim is a very important life skill for the entire family, and, in fact, swimming lessons reduce child drowning deaths by 88% according to the National Drowning Prevention Alliance. So, to help parents feel safer bringing their children to swim lessons, we have implemented new entry and cleaning procedures and policies maintaining social distancing.
Dealing with our new normal, we are planning for only private lessons, sibling groups, and small parent-child classes. We may start adding some weeklong group lessons when restrictions are less severe possibly in late summer.
Knowing how chlorine works to kill the virus makes us feel more comfortable about reopening! CDC says chlorine at 2ppm (our normal level) kills the virus, disrupting the sensitive capsule with the virus protein inside it. In addition, we also have our UV which denatures the alignment of amino acids in the protein rendering it unable to replicate. Yeah for chlorine and UV!
This is what we have decided so far:
- We have been maintaining payroll. We are awaiting government funding of the Payroll Protection Program but have not yet received it. We are waiting on our government and bank loans.
- The spring session has officially ended, and we are reopening with an Interim Session when permitted to do so. We are setting a moving target date of May 15 for reopening, which has moved to June 4th as on May 13, 2020.
- Group classes can no longer be our model when we re-open, and so, we are immediately planning for private lessons and treat the weeks prior to the start of our summer session on June 15 as an Interim Session.
- Credits were assigned to each family’s account based on the amounts paid. Thank you to those who paid in full for the spring session or school year option. You will see credits applied for all classes from March 16 -June 15.
- You can use your credits to sign up immediately for the Interim Session and or the summer session. To sign-up online for the Interim Session, click the “spring” session button on the parent portal.
- Your credits may be used for classes this interim session, summer, or deferred to fall, next spring, birthday parties, or for anything we sell. They have no expiration date.
- School Year Option enrollment has been postponed until we can safely resume group classes.
Social distancing outside the pool
- Plastic partition barriers to protect staff and clients at the front desk.
- Staff will be wearing face masks for as long as required.
- Limit 1 Parent/caregiver per child. Parents may sit 6’ apart in the party room or take a chair into the natatorium.
- There will be an “in” door and an “out” door to the building as well as the natatorium.
- No camps this summer.
- No dolphin dough cards or treats. Please bring a treat for your child.
- We will have hand sanitizer and disinfectant available,
- The requirement of normal temperature and the use of hand sanitizer when entering the facility for staff and families.
- Parents and children > 4 are encouraged to wear coverage over their mouth and nose.
Social distancing inside the pool and natatorium:
- Instructors will wear face shields in the pool.
- Limiting pool to 6 or 7 instructors at a time means that we will be teaching only private or semiprivate classes in which everyone is living in the same house (siblings only).
- Parent-child classes will be limited to 3 children.
- In all classes, parents are invited to get into the pool if they wish, for hands-on with their own children. An added benefit to this is that the parent understands what is going on in the class and will learn the skills to teach and how to teach them. However, only parents in the parent/child classes are required to get into the pool.
- We may be into warmer weather by the time we re-open, and it will be OK for your child to come wearing their bathing suit and leave in their bathing suit employing an optional “Wrap and Go” policy. Please shower at home.
- Toys will be limited to those we can constantly and completely dunk in the pool. Feel free to bring your own toys.
Make-up classes: Temporary change in our usual make-up policy.
- There will be an additional charge of $10/lesson until the necessity of only private and semiprivate classes no longer exists.
- For all classes including parent/child, we will schedule special make-up days/times for the make-up lessons. Call or sign-up on-line for make-ups. Your usual teacher will probably not be teaching your private make-up.
- These are temporary changes to our usual policy until we can resume free group make-ups.
We hope that the above information helps to ease some of your fears about returning to our business.
FYI: Wish Swim-in Zone a Happy Birthday on May 24. We opened 16 years ago!